30 Apr 2022
In 1888 Bishop Lamaze SM visited France and made application to the Superior General of the Marist Brothers, Rev. Brother Theophane, for Brothers to re-open their mission in Apia.
In 1888 Bishop Lamaze SM visited France and made application to the Superior General of the Marist Brothers, Rev. Brother Theophane, for Brothers to re-open their mission in Apia. His request was granted and on 18th August, Brothers Philippe Charavay (French), Marie Salvianus (German) and Hilary Francis (an Australian Novice) arrived in Apia in the company of Br John, the Provincial Superior of Australia, under whose direction the new mission now came.
The Brothers opened their school on September 4th with seven pupils (all part Samoans) but before the end of the year the school grew to twenty boys. The Bishop gave the Brothers a piece of land of about 2 acres near the school, planted in coconuts, bananas and taro and which was looked after by a villager in the service of the Brothers. The school was erected on about 1 acre of land nearby.
The Brothers taught mainly in English, subjects as reading, writing, arithmetic, algebra, grammar, composition, geography and history; with French and German courses in addition. Religious Instruction was given to the Catholic boys and to those Protestant pupils desirous to receive it.
Difficulties were to follow, but in spite of the political turmoil in and around Apia, and the consequent tensions the Brothers had to contend with, they had come this time to Samoa to stay.
Source: 1988 Marist Centennial Magazine